The Ngassa Contract Areas
Oranto Petroleum Limited (OPL) operates the two stratigraphic licenses for the Ngassa Shallow and Deep play areas in Hoima and Kikuube districts.
The Ngassa block, which was part of Exploration Area 2 (EA2) licensed to Tullow Uganda Operations Pty Ltd (Tullow), was relinquished back to the Government of Uganda in 2011 as per the obligations in the Production Sharing Agreement (PSA).
The block is covered with good quality Two Dimensional (2D), and Three Dimensional (3D) seismic data acquired in 2003, 2008, and 2019. Two deviated wells, Ngassa-1 and Ngassa-2 were drilled on land at the periphery of the main structure between 2007 and 2009 to access the reservoirs that lie under the Lake. The two wells encountered both gas and oil shows. To date, a large part of the structure remains untested.
The Ngassa block was stratigraphically delineated for licensing purposes. Stratigraphic licensing aims to ensure that the full potential of the acreage is explored since companies may be inclined not to implement exploration work programmes in the shallow reservoirs, especially when they contain gas, as opposed to the deep oil reservoirs.
OPL has implemented the following approved work programmes have been implemented as of 2023:
- Acquired new 2D seismic data amounting to 326-line km.
- Reprocessed existing 2D (325-line Km) and 3D vintage seismic data (250 sq. Km). In addition, to the processed the 2D seismic data set.
- Carried out a Petro-Physical study on the Ngassa-1 and Ngassa-2 wells.
- Carried out an Amplitude Versus Offset (AVO) study on existing seismic data using the two (2) wells, namely Ngassa-1 and Ngassa-2
- A Drilling Solution study for Lake Albert was completed.
- Conducted several stakeholder engagements and workshops.
OPL is preparing to drill one (1) exploration well in the Ngassa Contract Area (NCA) to de-risk the prospects identified from interpreting the seismic data and pre-existing well data.
Map showing the acquired 330.26Km line of the 2D Seismic survey over the Ngassa Contract Areas.